Hamlet Oak Framed Buildings - Carpentry Glossary Part 1

If you're new to the world of oak framed buildings and all their design possibilities, then you might need a little time to familiarise yourself some of the vocabulary used in our brochure, and some of the terms we might refer to during the design process.

Our joiners and carpenters use a multitude of techniques to put together an expertly crafted oak framed house or building. But because we're a practical lot here at Hamlet Buildings, we thought we would provide you with a basic glossary of some of the more common carpentry terms that you might come across when deciding on the best oak framed building design for your needs. This selection represents a rudimentary list of the terms we use in our brochures, but just a fraction of the carpentry and joinery terms known to our craftsmen! As such, we've split our basic glossary into two parts, starting with A-K...

Oak Framed Building Glossary (A-K)

Architrave - a moulded (often ornamental) frame around a doorway to disguise the joint between plaster and wood.

Batten - a flat, narrow piece of wood fixed to a wall for holding other boards or structures in place, e.g skirting board, plasterboard.

Brace - a part of a timber or metal structure spanning a diagonal space that adds strength and stability, and resists compression or tension.

Carcass - The 'skeleton' or bare frame of a structure.

Chamfer - a flat surface created by cutting off a corner or right angled edge.

Dormer - a window that vertically stands proud from a sloped roof, constructed with vertical casements.

Eaves - the bottom edge of a roof that meets the walls of the structure and where water can be collected in gutters.

Faade - the front face of a building or structure.

Fascia - a board fixed or flat piece of board fixed to the edge/end of rafters forming the outer surface that gutters are fixed to.

Featheredge - a board with an edge that tapers off into a thinner width. Featheredging denotes the practice of using these boards, where the outer thicker edge is overlaid on the thinner edge of the board beneath.

Gable - a triangular end or edge of a building that sits between the roof ridge and eaves.

Gable Window - a window that sits within a gable, sometimes shaped in a gable style.

Garret - a room on the top floor of a building, or an attic room.

Hip - the shape and angle formed by an intersection between inclined roof structures.

Hipped Roof - a distinct shape of rood where the ends and sides incline.

Joists - lengths of timbers that support ceilings and floors, usually fixed in parallel.

Kiln Dry - the various processes of drying timbers with heat via a kiln to reduce moisture content in the wood.

That covers the basics for A-K... more to come in our next blog instalment!

T 0800 08 59 699     E sales@hamletbuildings.co.uk